Over February break, five of our teens traveled to the Germantown section of Philadelphia to help with different projects. Under the direction of Sr. Rose along with Paul & Debbie Amidon as chaperones, Alicia Clarke, Claire Dudley,Emma Groff, Graham Demo and Noah Race spent their week helping those less fortunate. Over the next few weeks, we will share in their experiences. This week Noah will tell us about what he did and what he most liked about his trip to Philly!
Due to the weather, the group I went with left a day later, on Sunday. The people that I went with were Sr. Rose, Mr. and Mrs. Amidon, Alicia Clark, Claire Dudley, Emma Groff, and Graham Demo. When we got to where we were staying, the St. Vincent de Paul Center in Germantown, we met Sr. Pat, our cook, and Fr. Bill, our chauffeur. Later that day we visited the Saint Vincent’s Seminary for the retired brothers and fathers of the Vincentian churches, where Graham and I talked to Fr. Brandenberger. Fr. Brandenberger, 94 years old, was so glad to see us and tell us his life story. I could tell he appreciated being able to reminisce about his life. Graham and I both found it very interesting to learn about his life story. When we went back to the St. Vincent de Paul Center, we had our first prayer service. Continue reading
Weekend of March 1/2
Meditation Books will be available at the entrances
Blessing of Rice Bowls during all Masses
Ash Wednesday Schedule
- Masses: 6:45am, 12:10pm, 7:00pm
- Prayer Services w/Ashes held during Religious Ed: 8:05am, 8:50am, 1:30pm
- Ash Wednesday Soup Supper for Cazenovia College Students Immediately following 7:00pm Mass in the Church Hall
Lenten Daily Mass Schedule
- Mondays: 6:45 & 9:00am
- Tuesdays: 9:00am Communion Service and 6:00pm Mass
- Wednesdays: 6:45am & 10:00am Masses
- Wed., April 2: 8:05AM & 8:50AM Masses
- Wednesday, April 16: 6:45AM Mass
- 8:05AM & 8:50AM Prayer Services
- Thursdays and Fridays: 6:45AM & 9:00AM Masses
Stations of the Cross
- March 12: 6th/8th Grade Stations
- March 19: Virtual Stations
- April 2: Mary Stations
- April 9: Living Stations
- Stations of the Cross are also located on the East wall of the Daily Chapel for personal reflection. The Daily Chapel is accessible Monday ~ Friday during the day.
Lenten Penance Services
- Sunday, March 16 St. Ann’s, Manlius, 2pm
- Wednesday, March 26 St. James , Cazenovia, 7:00pm
Adult Faith Formation
- Monday evenings – March 24, March 31, April 7, April 14 Facilitated by Jim McSweeney & Sr. Rose Casaleno
Lenten Grade Liturgies
- Sunday, March 23: 1st & 9th Grade
- Saturday, April 5, 5:00pm Mass Bishop Costello will confirm the sacrament on our Confirmation Candidates.
- Annual Lenten Fish Fry – Friday, March 7, 5:00pm
- Lenten Soup Suppers – Wednesdays in Lent 5:30PM – 6:45PM
- March 12
- March 19
- March 26
- Pancake Breakfast – Youth Ministry Fundraiser
- Saturday, April 19, 8:00~10:00am – St. James Church Hall
Holy Week – April 13 ~ April 20, 2014
Palm Sunday, April 12/13
- Saturday Vigil, 5:00pm
- Sunday, 9:00am & 11:00am
- Procession with banners and palms leading into the Church.
Holy Week Daily Masses
- Monday April 14 – Daily Mass: 9:00am
- Tuesday, April 15 – Communion Service,:9:00am; Mass: 6:00pm
- Wednesday, April 16 – Daily Mass: 6:45am
- Set up Garden in Daily Chapel: 10:00am
- Holy Thursday, April 17
- Liturgy of the Lord’s Supper, 7:00pm
- All Night Adoration in “The Garden,” 8:00pm
- Good Friday, April 18
- Solemn Commemoration, 12:00pm
- Holy Saturday, April 19
- Blessing of Easter Food, 12:00pm
- Saturday April 19 Easter Vigil, 8:00pm
- Easter Sunday, April 20, 2014
- Masses: 9:00am, 11:00am
DAYS OF ABSTINENCE- Ash Wednesday, all Fridays in Lent, and Good Friday for all who have reached their 14th birthday, no meat can be taken.
DAYS OF FAST -- Ash Wednesday and Good Friday for all who have reached their 18th birthday and have not as yet reached their 60th birthday, a limit of one full meatless meal.
WEEKDAYS OF LENT – No obligation to fast, however, voluntary acts of self-denial are recommended
EASTER DUTY OBLIGATION- Must be made from the First Sunday in Lent (Mar 5) through Trinity Sunday (Jun 15).
SELF DENIAL -Is encouraged on a voluntary basis. Acts may include Daily Mass, spiritual study, Lenten Devotions, the Rosary, Stations of the Cross and deeds of mercy and kindness.
The fruit of the Spirit is indeed alive and well among our youth at St. James! On November 7, 25 students used their day off from school to participate in a service opportunity in the Church Hall. Charged with baking brownies for 70 Thanksgiving baskets to be distributed via the Mustard Seed Outreach Program, the students rolled up their sleeves and got right to work.
Under the guidance of parent volunteers Maureen Phillips and Patrice Morris and student volunteers Keeley Race and Samantha Morris, 36 dozen brownies were ready for the ovens in less than 90 minutes! As the aromas of the treats baking filled the kitchen, the students enjoyed watching the movie, “Finding Buck McHenry” on the big screen.
In addition to the service, students and parents made monetary donations to cover the expense of baking ingredients. Thank you to all who participated. Keep your eye out for information related to our next Faith Formation event on December 12, which is a half-day of school.